Thursday, June 2, 2011

Mind Your Head, Watch Your Step



At last, we were on our way! This was a journey of firsts for us: first time to go to Alaska; first time to take a cruise; first time to be this far from shore without an airplane! ;-) It was one of those times in life where every moment seems to hold a special view, or thought, or experience.

So, what with all that excitement going on, perhaps you will pardon me for reading a lot of meaning into the signs that suddenly loomed up before us as we took a turn around the ship's deck. There on the wall, just to the left of a doorway leading to the ship's interior were two neatly lettered signs, one just above the other. On the first were the words: "MIND YOUR HEAD." And just below it, the second read: "WATCH YOUR STEP."

I was transfixed. It felt as if God had reached down and placed those signs just there for me to read. Yes, I was on vacation, but that didn't mean the complexities of my life had disappeared with the rapidly receding Seattle skyline. I had a lot on my mind; chief of which was the recent realization that I might have to return to a profession for which I thought the need had long ago ended; the possibility I might need to resurrect skill sets I thought would never be needed again.

The appearance of those signs---despite the fact that, in subsequent days, I encountered identical signs at every entrance to the interior---just seemed providential. The thoughts printed there pierced to the heart of my worries, calming me. Yes, those thoughts are just good advice to folks perambulating about on a boat that is subject to the uncertainties of the sea. But I think you will agree they can be usefully applied to our non-seagoing lives as well.

So, aboard ship, I minded my head and watched my step. But I carried those instructions with me when I returned to the real world; referencing them often over the following months and years. I find them reflected in one of today's lectionary passages: "Turn all your anxiety over to God because he cares for you. Keep your mind clear, and be alert." 1 Peter 5:7-8a

#################################

The lectionary readings for the coming week
Acts 1:6-14
Psalm 68:1-10, 32-35
1 Peter 4:12-14; 5:6-11
John 17:1-11

Join us if you are in Waco on Friday. We meet at Cafe Cappuccino (on 6th, near the Courthouse) at 8:00 a.m. Good food and an interesting discussion with fabulous people ;-)

Enjoy!
Steve

No comments: