Tuesday, May 22, 2012

What You Wrote in My Yearbook

What You Wrote in My Yearbook
(Edited and transcribed by Steve Orr)

To those who shared time in "good ole' PTHS" with me, do you recognize yourself? Could you have really written that? Oh, yes, my friends. Here are your own words just as the appear in that beloved book that still sits on my shelf. Hard to believe that, after all these decades, I still enjoy taking it down and thumbing through the pages, seeing the way we were ... way back then.

Granted, not all of you, dear readers, wrote in MY yearbook. But you wrote in SOMEONE's yearbook, didn't you? There is something universal about the things we write in yearbooks. And even though these were written by the hands of those I called friend, those I idolized, those who taught me, and those with whom, sadly, I've lost contact, I bet some of YOUR words are here, too.

And if some of it reads a little strange, well . . . it WAS the '60s ;-)

INSIDE THE FRONT
"Well, I'm finally getting out, but I know our friendship will not end here. I'll always remember you and Algebra. Good luck as an upper class-man next year. Love and Lollipops, Lois T"

"I may not know my algebra, but you don't know your sports. So we can both learn from our friendship. Don H"

"Although I have only known you for a short time, we have become great friends; our friendship will last through many of our activities. Carl C"

"To a real great kind. Good luck always. Love Ya, Linda R"

"Good luck always. Remember me. Love, Martha"

"My love. My dearest darling. I will miss you so next year. My life will be so dull and miserable without you. Remember always as your One and Only. Gloria XXX"

"You're a great guy. Stay cool & uptight. Good luck & God bless. Danny"

"Now you can say a G.I. signed your annual. Good luck, Randy B"

"Bleache! Mike R"

"You're a great person -- someday I know I'll be able to say 'I knew [you]' -- Good luck in life and of course -- your writing! Luv Ya! Bettina"

"It's been a fun two years at PTHS -- only one more to go -- You're a real Doll & I hope I have a class with you again next year. Luck to you in the future & always! Love Ya, Sara"

"Sorry about that office! Good luck in all you do. See ya next year. Barbara H"

"It has been great. Take it easy and stay out of trouble! Be good! Be careful, then have fun! RJ"

"You are a great person! Best of luck always! Love Ya, Kay Loves Mike"

Tappercoom, Man has it been fun! Let's do it again! Skipps"

"My greatest critic! Remember, someday when I'm 'published' you can be my agent. Or really, you don't need to work -- you can sell the 'original copies' and live off the income! Won't that be great? I've enjoyed you so much and I'm glad you're my friend. You're quite a poet yourself -- stay that way! Always, Susan M"

PAGE ONE AND OPPOSING PAGE
"It's been a lot of fun working together in Thespians and I hope that next year we can make our plays the best ones yet. Good luck in everything. Love, Liz"

"Remember all the Chemistry antics. The crowded water fountain (Sink! ha!), your nerves, broken test tubes, etc. Good luck next year at good ole' PTHS. Love Ya, Donna C"

"Here's the 'snob' signing your annual! Actually, I'm not one at all. It's been a blast in Speech this year, but we're sure gonna miss all those 7-10 minute speeches! PTHS is gonna miss Mr. Miller, too. Good luck in all you do. Love Ya, June C"

"It's been a great year for 'playing' around. Hope you do a lot of that next year. Good luck. Debbie K"

PAGE 76
"It's been nice having you in class. See you around next year. That's nice, too! V.S."

PAGE 78
"To my former neighbor and former student. Keep in touch. Mrs. Rudolph"

PAGE 82
"Hello and how are you? Have YOU planted a tree, a shrub, or a bush? Once upon a blush -- We are at Frisch's. Remember? Barbara F"

"You've been a brick and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. Best luck, J. C. Miller"

PAGE 94
"Best wishes to you. Sincerely yours, L. J. Bryant"

PAGE 100
"I certainly have loved knowing you this year -- you sure brightened up many dull Chemistry lab days. You're such a nice boy & I hope can stay that way always. Best of luck and I could never forget you! Love, Mollie"

PAGE 103
"What am I gonna say if you don't be QUIET! Now have a blast next Fall and don't work too hard. Congratulations on being a Rep. at Large -- Great!!! Love, Ann"

PAGE 104
"It has been a real pleasure knowing you and working with you, esp. in Thespians. Keep up the good work. Best wishes -- Juliette"

PAGE 107
"I'll always value our friendship as one of the finest, sincerest, and Bestist (ha ha) that ever was! Good luck always -- Keep the Thespians going. Love Ya, Leah Bear"

PAGE 122
"This year at PTHS has in many ways been great. English class for instance -- what about Algebra. Mrs. Smedley is one character we shall never forget in our lives. Good luck next year and have fun in all you do. ----- Susan S"

PAGE 137
"Good luck next year. God bless you in everything you attempt to do. Just promise to make next year your best and your last. Willa W"

PAGE 150
"Don H"

INSIDE THE BACK
"Let's face it. A Poet you ain't! No really, you're a great buddy & you will be a writer, maybe! Have fun next year. We'll both be the GRADUATE next year 'bout this time. Have fun in Stand! Mike R"

"To a very special friend who I'll never understand. Don't ask me why coz I don't know. Anyway, I never know what to say in these things so I'll just say Green lights, Blue skies and so long for now! Donna P. (P.S. Mike R don't know nuthin anyway!)

"This year has been fun. Fun? Well, anyway I'll never forget our swinging Chemistry class and 6th period Algebra. Good luck in the future. Love, Judy"

"One thing I can say about you is you are very unusual. Like playing drums on the biology cabinets and other associated things. But I guess you're still a good friend. Good luck next year. Holly"

"It's been great knowing you this year! You're a great guy! Never change! Good luck thru the future in everything you attempt! Love ya! Pam"

"From an old friend who adores your poetry. Keep it up. It's been great knowing you. Good luck. May you always be happy. Love ya, Judy J (P.S. Remember Thespians and remember me.)"

"A very nice guy. Good luck in all you do. Jerri M. (P.S. Be a good Thespian)"

"You are one of the best friends I have and I hope it's always that way. Remember all the great times we've had since 9th grade. Good luck in the future. Paula M"

"What could I have done without you this year? You've helped me a lot, spiritually and emotionally. Thanks for being my friend. Good luck always and may God be with you. Love, Judy"

1 comment:

Bettie said...

I didn't get to sign your yearbook, that year so..... Steve, you were such a special guy. You were, always, there to help anyone, anyway you could and you never knew your worth. Thanks for being in my life. May you forever, graduate with honor !