Saturday, March 11, 2017

Under the Cloak of Darkness (a Lectionary reflection by Steve Orr)

The lights in my garage are on motion detectors.

When I step into my garage, a sensor notes my movement, connecting the power to a light. When I open the door and look into the garage, it's just a dark space. But when I actually enter the garage, it is flooded with light. That light can be a little disorienting; going from complete darkness to bright light can do that. Briefly, I'm thrown off by that light. That's eventually replaced by relief that I can see.

I like that light.

It gives me comfort. I feel confident, each time I enter the garage, that darkness will be replaced by light. It took some work to install the first motion detector and light combination, but it was worth it. So worth it, I installed motion detectors on all of the lights in the garage. Now, wherever I go in the garage, a light turns on as I approach.

We have a darkness situation in this week's Lectionary selection from the gospel of John (3:1-17). If you haven't read it, take a minute to do so, now (It includes the famously quoted John 3:16). In this passage, Nicodemus, a leader of the Jews, comes to speak with Jesus.

Under the cloak of darkness.

Nicodemus has taken a lot of criticism for waiting until dark to have this conversation with Jesus. Who knows? Maybe he had a busy day and this was the first time he had a space in his schedule. Still, even if he had a reasonable excuse, bad optics. Nicodemus looks like he has waited until dark because he doesn't want anyone telling the other Jewish leaders that he was conversing with Jesus. And ... maybe that's really the truth of it.

But here's the thing: despite any potential dangers, he came anyway.

There's a lot we could take away from this encounter between Nicodemus and Jesus. There are multiple significant matters discussed. But there is one key lesson, the one from which the others flow: Nicodemus came to Jesus.

Like my garage light, movement is required.

Peering into my garage, all one sees is darkness. It is only after taking that step into the garage that the light shines forth. If Nicodemus had not taken that step, had not come to visit Jesus that night, he might never have had the opportunity to learn about the need to be born of the Spirit.

If you want to know Jesus, you have to take that first step. You have to have faith that the light will shine forth, even under the cloak of darkness.

_________________________

READINGS FOR THE COMING WEEK
Second Sunday in Lent (March 12, 2017)
http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/

Genesis 12:1-4a
Psalm 121
Romans 4:1-5, 13-17
John 3:1-17 or Matthew 17:1-9

_________________________

Can you be with us, Friday morning? Lectionary Breakfast meets at the Waco "Egg and I" restaurant at 8:00. We invest that hour in moving closer to the Lord. We laugh, eat, pray, read scripture, and wrestle with the meaning for our daily living.

And there's plenty of light.

Blessing,
Steve

_________________________

READINGS FOR THE COMING WEEK
Second Sunday in Lent (March 12, 2017)
http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/

Genesis 12:1-4a
Psalm 121
Romans 4:1-5, 13-17
John 3:1-17 or Matthew 17:1-9

_________________________

Can you be with us, Friday morning? Lectionary Breakfast meets at the Waco "Egg and I" restaurant at 8:00. We invest that hour in moving closer to the Lord. We laugh, eat, pray, read scripture, and wrestle with the meaning for our daily living.

And there's plenty of light.

Blessing,
Steve

No comments: