Saturday, January 13, 2018

A Life Lesson While Learning to Drive (a Steve Orr Epiphany reflection)

When the light turned green, I just sat there.

It’s was less than a month to my 16th birthday. Mom had become my driving instructor (this was in the days before mandatory Driver’s Ed). Dad was supposed to be my instructor, but ...

On our first (and only) outing (taken on country roads to limit exposures to other vehicles), Dad spent most of the drive clinging to the passenger door and hissing through his teeth. While he never spoke to me about it, directly, apparently my every action frightened him. He told Mom she would have to teach me. I was not sad about that development. Who can think with a hisser in the car?

So, Mom took over. After a few more country roads, she decided I was ready for town streets. Much of it is a blur, but I clearly recall this: sitting at that green light. Don’t get the wrong idea; I was not frozen by insecurity, uncertainty, or fear. I sat at that green light because my mother told me to.

It went like this. As we approached the traffic signal, it turned red. So, of course, I brought the car to a halt. I was feeling pretty good about it all, that being my first time to stop at a traffic signal. And then, the odd thing: Mom looked over and said, "When the light turns green, don't go. Wait until I tell you."

I remember being puzzled. I had read my driver's handbook. I knew we were supposed to stop on red and go on green. In fact, not only was it expected, it was my right. When the light is green, I have the right of way. But, being the dutiful son —and having no desire to be cast off to some other relative for the balance of my training— I obeyed her ... waiting at that intersection for just about one second longer.

A car ran the red light.

It cut straight through the space we would have occupied if I had asserted my rights and driven forward!

I learned a life lesson that day. I call it "jumping the green," my phrase for those actions we take simply because we can. They are allowed, so we do them. But, as was so stunningly demonstrated to me that day late in my 15th year, such actions, though allowed, may not always be the wisest.

Something to think about as we contemplate this week’s passage from 1st Corinthians.

_________________________

A slightly different version of this reflection appeared in January 2012 as “Jumping the Green.”
_________________________

Photo: Steve Orr
_________________________

READINGS FOR THE COMING WEEK
Second Sunday after the Epiphany (January 14, 2018)
https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu//

1 Samuel 3:1-10, (11-20)
Psalm 139:1-6, 13-18
1 Corinthians 6:12-20
John 1:43-51
_________________________

Lectionary Breakfast is our time to explore, in light of the teachings of scripture, those kinds of allowed-but-not-always-wise choices life regularly tosses our way. Join us Friday morning at the Waco “Egg and I” restaurant at 8:00. It’s an interesting hour of Bible, discussion, prayer, food, and laughter.

Blessings,
Steve

No comments: