Saturday, September 1, 2018

The Ocean, the Ginger, and the Figs (a Steve Orr Lectionary reflection)

Through the window near our table, I could see the ocean racing by ... or more precisely, our ship racing across the ocean. With our speed, we were creating a sizable bow wave, ropey blue lines with lots of white froth. Captain had announced earlier that we would be sailing along at 15 knots, which is pretty fast for a cruise-liner of our size. Despite the visual, though, it was a smooth crossing.

Yes, there was some roll, front to back; which, with our dining room being near the back of the ship, meant we could feel it a bit more. But there had been rougher seas this trip. Still, despite the beauty and majesty of that ride, and despite how relatively mild it was onboard, tonight, those with a sensitivity to such things would likely need something to calm their stomachs.

And that’s where the ginger comes in.

Every night after dinner, we walked directly to a small cart positioned just by the exit. On it were displayed an arrangement of four after-dinner treats. You could choose from dates, crystallized (sugared) ginger, dried figs, and those small, creamy mints that start melting the second you place them in your mouth. While the mints were yummy and the dates were sweet —and I know a lot of you would prefer one or both— my choice was always ginger and figs.

Crystallized ginger comes with both a kiss and a bite; I’m pretty sure it would be all bite if not for that sugar infusion. So, its the sugared form for me. But some nights —nights like this one— the ginger was gone by the time I reached that cart. For many, some ginger after a meal is exactly what they needed to calm those sea-tossed tummies. I doubt the FDA has weighed in on this, but a lot of people swear by it: ginger helps their seasickness. I don’t get sea sick, so the absence of the ginger, while a disappointment, is not devastating.

Besides (and now we get down to it), I love figs! Truth be told, as much as I enjoy the ginger, I can live without it. What I found myself looking forward to each evening on the cruise were those figs.

The first time I ate a fig (and I’m not counting Fig Newtons) was while awaiting the birth of our daughter. The tree behind the small duplex we rented in South Austin (Texas) was huge; I could not wrap my arms all the way around the trunk. I happened to be standing beneath it when a fig came loose and fell at my feet. I had seen figs in the grocery store, so I knew what it was, but I had never actually eaten one. Could I eat it? This was long before the Internet, so there was no Google to ask. I took the thing to work with me and asked my boss. She quashed all concern by ooh-ing and aah-ing over the thing. All that was needed before eating was simply to wash it off.

I’ve been hooked ever since.

Hard to describe the sensations of eating a fig. It is definitely not for just everyone. But that mild sweetness, coupled with all that fiber, it’s just right for me. And I am a long way from the first to enjoy a fig. Did you know that only three trees were named in the Garden of Eden? Two were supernatural and other was: the Fig. In fact, figs play a big role in the Bible.

When the wanderers are about to enter the Promised Land, they are told, “For the Lord your God is bringing you into a good land, a land with ... [among other great things] fig trees ....” (‭‭Deut‬ ‭8:7-8‬ ‭NRSV‬‬ - http://bible.com/2016/deu.8.7-8.nrsv) Throughout the Bible, figs and fig trees are associated with peace, well-being, and safety. The very image one would conjure of a happy, contented Israelite is one where they sit beneath the shade of their own fig tree (consider what Jesus says of Nathanael in John chapter 1).

Much is implied when scripture references the fig tree and its produce: it takes a lot of work to just keep the thing alive the first few years. They have to be nurtured. The presence of a living, fruitful fig tree means that the Gardner has remained nearby, tending to all that is required to ensure its health and growth.

So, when we come across a passage like the one from Song of Solomon in this week’s Lectionary, we must exercise a bit of care. I know the tendency of some might be to just skip it, entirely, perhaps thinking, “Just how much love poetry do I need to read? And what spiritual purpose does this serve?”

Ah ... but the figs.

The presence of the fig tree and the figs in that passage told a fuller story to the Israelite readers, one we might not get. Those readers understood: It wasn’t just a call from one lover to another to “come away.” It was saying that, not only is all well with the world, but that the present is the product of the past. Much tending and nurturing had preceded that poetic moment in time. This was not a new, immature love; maturity had been achieved and the time had, at last, arrived for starting their new life, together.

This is our relationship with God. The Lord is our Gardner. We are the figs.

_________________________
Reference (I don’t know anything about these folk. I just liked this article about the figs in the Bible): From THE SYMBOLISM OF FIGS IN THE BIBLE
https://www.oneforisrael.org/amp/bible-based-teaching-from-israel/figs-in-the-bible/
PHOTO (and a yummy culinary article about figs): https://www.strongertogether.coop/fresh-from-the-source/figs

_________________________

READINGS FOR THE COMING WEEK
Proper 17 (22) (September 2, 2018)
https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu//

Song of Solomon 2:8-13
Psalm 45:1-2, 6-9
Deuteronomy 4:1-2, 6-9
Psalm 15
James 1:17-27
Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23
_________________________

Friday mornings are special. Scripture, prayer, discussion, laughter: DaySpring’s Lectionary Breakfast meets at the Waco “Egg and I” restaurant from 8:00 to 9:00. We’re usually in their function room (down the outside, near the back), but be sure to ask the host if you can’t find us.

Blessings,
Steve

No comments: