Thursday, June 23, 2011

Friending Ashley Judd



(a brief Lectionary reflection by Steve Orr)

Lately, Facebook has been suggesting I become friends with Ashley Judd.  

It pops up on the right hand side of the screen under "People You May Know." Ashley Judd ... with that little +1 symbol and the "Add Friend" link beneath her name.  The first time it happened I, naively I now realize, clicked on the link.  Facebook quickly displayed a message informing me that Ashley couldn't be friends with me because she already has too many friends.  I don't know this for certain, but I sensed it was a comment made snidely.  As if the word, "dimwit" were invisably appended to the end of the message.

(Stop that. I could, TOO, be friends with Ashley Judd!)

I know why it's there.  It's because Facebook's algorithm thingy recognized we are both from Kentucky.  So, of COURSE we might know each other.  That right there, that kind of "thinking," is why I haven't lost a minute of sleep worrying about artificially intelligent robots taking over the earth.  They've got a LONG way to go.  In any event, I had learned my lesson.  So now when I see it lurking over there on the right, I just ignore it.  

It's too bad, really, because I think I really COULD share some stories with Ashley that, being from Kentucky, would resonate for her.  I could tell her about Paul and Mike, about Carolyn and Ginny Ann, about Bob and Robin, Bruce and Bonnye; about the great times we all had exploring the Land Between the Lakes, spelunking, picking apples to earn spending money, writing poetry, climbing on the monkey bars, playing on the train tracks, driving through the 19th Hole, playing ball on a makeshift mowed-out diamond, being in school plays and musicals, canoeing Kentucky Lake, holding hands, and, yes, skipping stones.  

Great memories of growing up in west Kentucky.  Even the bad parts don't look so bad after half a century.  Yes, I think Ashley would recognize some of that.  And would welcome a friendship that helps her to recall her own growing-up times.

"Whoever welcomes you welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. --Matthew 10:40

############################

This week's Lectionary readings
Genesis 22:1-14
Psalm 13
Jeremiah 28:5-9
Psalm 89:1-4, 15-18
Romans 6:12-23
Matthew 10:40-42

If you are in Waco Friday, join us at Cafe Cappuccino for some great food and a fine time talking about this week's passages (8:00 a.m. On 6th, near the Courthouse).

No comments: