Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Perfect Lectionary Reflection

The Perfect Lectionary Reflection

(a brief Lectionary reflection by Steve Orr)

I had the PERFECT Lectionary reflection for this week's passages.  Just perfect.  But, I can't find it.  I wrote the piece several years ago to pair with Isaiah 55:10-11.  Now, if I could just locate it, I would have the perfect little story to underscore God's message in the Isaiah passage.  But, alas, that is not to be.

Isn't that just the thing?  You have the perfect thought, the perfect word, the perfect idea, the perfect story to illustrate something from scripture; the VERY thing that will just make that passage spring to life for the reader; that little boost the scripture needs to settle deep into the heart of the reader where it will take root and produce spiritual fruit a hundredfold or more ... and you just can't quite produce it at the right moment.  SO frustrating.  

Nothing for it, though.  I guess THIS week God's word will have to get by without my support ;-)

"For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return there until they have watered the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and succeed in the thing for which I sent it."
--Isaiah 55:10-11

LECTIONARY READINGS FOR THE COMING WEEK
Proper 10 (15) (July 10, 2011)
Genesis 25:19-34
Psalm 119:105-112
Isaiah 55:10-13
Psalm 65:(1-8), 9-13
Romans 8:1-11
Matthew 13:1-9, 18-23

If you are in Waco Friday morning, join our group for breakfast and more of the foregoing at Cafe Cappuccino (8:00 a.m. - downtown on 6th near the Courthouse).

Enjoy!
Steve

No comments: