Saturday, January 18, 2020

Am I the Spy You’re Looking For? (a Steve Orr scripture reflection)

It started innocuously enough.

I perused a one-page graphic on the internet depicting, in eight steps, HOW TO PROPERLY TIE A BOWTIE. I know there are reasons why someone might need to know this, but not in my day-to-day. I chuckled and thought, Yeah, right. I'm never going to need to know that! ...well, maybe when I become a spy. Ha ha.

And that was that. Or so I thought at the time.

But the idea, becoming a spy, kept popping up from time to time throughout that day and the next. My brain would not let it go. Eventually, I gave in and did what millions of people around the globe do when an idea just won't leave them alone.

I started a Pinterest board.

And suddenly, I was pinning pictures of tuxedos, trench coats, decoder rings, "TOP SECRET" rubber stamps, hot cars, and, of course, fedoras. I pinned to my board anything I could think of that represented, at least in my mind, spy accoutrement. Now that it’s going, there’s no telling where or when it will all end.

So. Am I going to become a spy?

I don't really know. At this point, it seems unlikely. I'm ready, though, should the occasion arise. I've seen all the James Bond movies. I've read all the Mrs. Pollifax novels. And I have my Pinterest board to guide my equipment purchases. If someone were to search for a spy, I am findable. 😎

And that brings me to Psalm 40 in this week's scriptures.

If someone were searching for a person who loved The Lord, would you be findable? How would someone know if you are the real deal? I haven’t seen a Pinterest Board on this, so let’s check the psalm for the criteria.

Do you love to do God's will? Do you keep His teachings in your heart? Could you speak about God's salvation, loyalty, mercy, and love to be with others of His people? It would be a lot easier if, like spies in the movies, all we had to do was wear certain kinds of clothing or surround ourselves with cool gadgets. But it doesn't work that way in real life. We're going to have to spend some time getting to know The Lord through prayer and reading scripture.

And we're probably going to have to say something to someone.

________________________
PHOTO: https://pin.it/rs6rf7wxdxf7vd

A different version of this reflection appeared in January 2014.
_________________________

READINGS FOR THE COMING WEEK
Second Sunday After the Epiphany (January 19, 2020)
https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu//texts.php?id=14

Isaiah 49:1-7
Psalm 40:1-11
1 Corinthians 1:1-9
John 1:29-42
_________________________

Greetings from the Caribbean! This message is coming to you on “Island Time.”

I hope you can join our group for DaySpring’s Lectionary Breakfast. We meet Friday morning at Our Breakfast Place in Waco (formerly named the Egg and I). Gather with us at 8:00 to peruse the menu, eat, pray, read the Bible, and kick around what we discover there. Find us in the back function room.

No code words needed.

Enjoy the week!
Steve

No comments: