Sunday, January 12, 2020

Revisiting a Bruised Reed (a Steve Orr scripture reflection)

My friend was "very disappointed" with me.

He had observed me offering what he termed "a soft response” to some comments made by a declared atheist. My friend explained, in a pretty condescending way, that he just could not believe I had failed to enumerate the "steps of salvation" when I had the opportunity to "witness" to the atheist.

My friend’s comments to me were considerably longer, and pretty brutal, but that's the gist of it.

What I wanted to do was lash out at him, cut him down to size for daring to think (and worse, put it into words) that I somehow shirked my responsibility as a Christian to spread the Gospel at every opportunity.

But, I was saved from that mistake by that "still small voice" from deep within reminding me: when I am angry, my most successful communications usually follow a period of prayer. In listening to that thought, I was led to the Isaiah passage in this week's scriptures, a prophecy about Jesus.

Here are four quick takes on the same passage:

"Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations. He will not cry or lift up his voice, or make it heard in the street; a bruised reed he will not break, and a dimly burning wick he will not quench; he will faithfully bring forth justice." (Isaiah 42:1-3)

“He won’t call attention to what he does with loud speeches or gaudy parades. He won’t brush aside the bruised and the hurt and he won’t disregard the small and insignificant, but he’ll steadily and firmly set things right.” (Isaiah 42:2-3 MSG)

“He will not break a crushed blade of grass or put out even a weak flame. He will truly bring justice." (Isaiah 42:3 NCV)

“He will not crush the weakest reed or put out a flickering candle. He will bring justice to all who have been wronged." (Isaiah 42:1-3 NLT)

Do you see what I, eventually, came to see?

Jesus tailored his speech to his audience.

When dealing with the leaders, the scribes, the learned, Jesus could be harsh, and with good reason. These were the people who had volunteered to lead and teach God's people, and they were doing so as if God did not actually exist.

But when Jesus interacted with the weak, the lost, the needy, the meek, his words were gentle. He led them gently, as only a good shepherd would.

And so, I did not back down from my "soft response" to the atheist; a man I have known for over four decades. He struggled, not so much with God as with his idea of God; an idea based on what he had gleaned from inaccurate things he had heard people say —and terrible things he had seen them do— in the name of God.

But I also did not respond harshly to my friend. Upon reflection, I knew he did not possess all the facts. He did not know of the years of discussion between the atheist and myself that had gone before. He was unaware of the gentle ministrations of a Pastor who had helped this atheist, this bruised reed, move, in tiny steps, in the direction of the true God.

"What Would Jesus Do?" has become a cliched question to many. But I encourage you to ask WWJD, often. You never know when you will encounter a bruised reed that needs a gentle touch or a weak flame that needs the softest of sighs to encourage it.

_________________________
A version of this reflection appeared in January 2014 as The Bruised Reed and the Weak Flame.
_________________________

READINGS FOR THE COMING WEEK
Baptism of the Lord (January 12, 2020)
https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu//texts.php?id=13

Isaiah 42:1-9
Psalm 29
Acts 10:34-43
Matthew 3:13-17

_________________________

I hope you can join us Friday morning at 8:00 at Our Breakfast Place (formerly named the "Egg and I") for DaySpring’s Lectionary Breakfast. We have a great time discussing scripture and eating a delicious breakfast.

Flames are brightened; no reeds are bruised.

Enjoy the week!
Steve

No comments: