Friday, January 13, 2012

Jumping the Green


Jumping the Green
(a brief Lectionary reflection by Steve Orr)

My Dad was unable to teach me to drive.  I say unable; but perhaps "unwilling" is a better description of the matter.  

This was way back in the dark ages, before schools included Drivers' Ed in the curriculum.  Driving was not considered a very complicated process, so instruction was left to "a responsible adult driver" to accomplish.  On top of that, we could not obtain a learner's permit until one month before our 16th birthday.  Do that math any way you want: it comes down to having to learn to drive in 30 days.

When the magical day arrived, Dad drove me to the courthouse so I could get my permit.  In Kentucky, this required interacting with some pretty scary-looking State Police officers.  I was asked how I had come there that day.  I couldn't seem to find my voice, so I just pointed to my Dad.  I was issued a driver's handbook along with an admonition to not operate a vehicle, alone, until after I had obtained my license.

My younger sister had already learned to operate Dad's VW Beatle (a manual transmission) on some farmland near our home.  It was an unending source of glee for her, and embarrassment for Dad, that I could not master the "stick."  So, I had to learn to drive in Mom's Barracuda (an automatic transmission).  On our first (and only) outing (taken on country roads to limit exposures to other vehicles), Dad spent most of the drive clinging to the passenger door and hissing through his teeth.  While he never spoke to me about it, apparently my every action frightened him.  Because when we got home, he told Mom she would have to teach me.  I was not sad about that development.  Who can think with a hisser in the car?

Since Mom's Barracuda was blue with white interior (my high school colors!), I was happy ... several less things to have to think about, and a little bit of cool in case any of my friends saw me.  After a few more country road outings, Mom decided I was ready for the surface streets in our town.  Much of this is a blur, but I clearly recall one incident from that month.  We stopped at a red light, my first.  Mom looked over at me and said, "Don't go when it turns green.  Give it a second." 

I remember thinking that was an odd thing to say.  I had read my driver's handbook.  I knew we were supposed to stop on red and go on green ... yellow is still up for debate ;-)  In fact, not only was it expected, it was my right.  When the light is green, I have the right of way.  But, being the dutiful son, and having no desire to be cast off to some other relative for the balance of my training, I obeyed her.  Imagine my shock when, shortly after the light turned green, a car ran the red light, cutting straight through the space we would have occupied if I had asserted my rights!

I learned a lesson that day, and not only one about driving.  I call it "jumping the green," those actions we take simply because we can.  They are allowed, so we do them.  But, as was so stunningly demonstrated to me that day late in my 15th year, such actions may not always be the wisest.

Something to think about.

"Just because something is technically legal doesn't mean that it's spiritually appropriate."  (1 Corinthians 6:12 MSG)

http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/

READINGS FOR THE COMING WEEK
Second Sunday after the Epiphany (January 15, 2012)
1 Samuel 3:1-10, (11-20)
Psalm 139:1-6, 13-18
1 Corinthians 6:12-20
John 1:43-51

No comments: