Sunday, June 17, 2012

Thanksgiving Square



Thanksgiving Square

(a brief Lectionary Reflection by Steve Orr)

Dallas has a wonderful little park right in the heart of Downtown, a place with a name that says it all: Thanksgiving Square. I think this is what many would call a "pocket park" or "mini-greenspace." Actual square yardage is minimal, but the space is so well designed that it has a much bigger feel. There are multiple levels, green spaces, triple belfry, gathering places, several water features, a tower and bridges, and lots of little alcoves and hideaways where one might go to contemplate one's thankfulness . . . or maybe just eat a bag lunch.

Now, I know we can be thankful anywhere. But I really appreciate this space being just outside my office door. Each day as I walk in to work or out for coffee, pass in front of it on my way to a lunch, or leave to catch my train
. . . I am reminded:

"It is good to give thanks to the LORD, to sing praises to your name, O Most High; to declare your steadfast love in the morning, and your faithfulness by night, to the music of the lute and the harp, to the melody of the lyre. For you, O LORD, have made me glad by your work; at the works of your hands I sing for joy." Psalm 92:1-4

And . . . I am reminded:

"The LORD does not see as mortals see; they look on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart." 1st Samuel 16:7

There is much to be thankful for in this life. These are but a few.

Five days a week, Thanksgiving Square reminds me:

Be thankful.


###############################
READINGS FOR THE COMING WEEK
http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu

Proper 6 (11) (June 17, 2012)
1 Samuel 15:34 - 16:13
Psalm 20
Ezekiel 17:22-24
Psalm 92:1-4, 12-15
2 Corinthians 5:6-10, (11-13), 14-17
Mark 4:26-34

If you're in Waco, Friday, join us for breakfast and discussions of the coming week's Lectionary passages. We're getting together at 8:00 a.m. at Cafe Cappuccino (downtown on 6th, near the Courthouse).

Eat. Think. Discuss. :-)

Enjoy the week!
Steve

No comments: