Sunday, July 1, 2012

New Every Morning


New Every Morning
(a brief Lectionary reflection by Steve Orr)

This week's selections are so full of interesting, thought-provoking scriptures. And there seems to be a theme of hopefulness running through them. If not for a stroke of luck, I would be hard pressed to focus on just one of them. As it turns out, though, one of my favorite passages is included.

One day while in college I overheard some of my friends singing a song (as a round) all about the dependability of God's love for us.  The song was really easy to learn, and I found myself singing it often. So upbeat and affirming were its lyrics, it quickly became a favorite of mine.

Imagine my shock when someone told me it was based on a passage from the book of Lamentations!  At that point I had never read Lamentations, having already judged that book by its title. I could only imagine the kind of gyrations the songwriters must have gone through to turn some lamenting into such a great song.

Then I read the passage. Shocked again! The song was verbatim from Lamentations 3:22 through 24. I can still sing that song, and do, because the message is so stunning: God's love is steadfast (i.e. constant, un-moveable) and every single day---rain or shine, good mood or bad, win or lose---God has a full supply of mercy for me. And it never stops; not for anything or anyone, including (or maybe even especially because of) my own stiff-necked, obstinate, willful rebellion. 

Stunning.

###############################

Lamentations 3:22-33
3:22 The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; 
3:23 they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
3:24 "The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in him."
3:25 The LORD is good to those who wait for him, to the soul that seeks him.
3:26 It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD.
3:27 It is good for one to bear the yoke in youth,
3:28 to sit alone in silence when the Lord has imposed it,
3:29 to put one's mouth to the dust (there may yet be hope),
3:30 to give one's cheek to the smiter, and be filled with insults.
3:31 For the Lord will not reject forever.
3:32 Although he causes grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love;
3:33 for he does not willingly afflict or grieve anyone.

###############################
READINGS FOR THE COMING WEEK
http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt

Proper 8 (13) (July 1, 2012)
2 Samuel 1:1, 17-27
Psalm 130
Lamentations 3:22-33
Psalm 30
2 Corinthians 8:7-15
Mark 5:21-43

1 comment:

Mary Lou said...

Thank you, Steve. This was just the message I needed to read this morning. God's love is steadfast.