Sunday, September 18, 2016

Digging A Ditch (a Lectionary reflection by Steve Orr)

When I was in high school, we went through a period where my parents, as many parents before and since, decided we needed to learn the value of money. As part of that process they gave each of us a fixed amount of money each week that we had to manage. We received no other money. And, for a while, that worked pretty well; it covered our lunch money for the week with a small amount left over. I walked to and from school, I hadn’t really started dating at that point, and I was using the public library to supply the lion’s share of my book addiction; I even accumulated a little money.

That is, until they raised the price of the school lunch. Suddenly, our allowance was only enough to pay for your lunches. My father’s solution? No raise. We could take our lunch if we wanted to have some extra money for other things. My parents locked horns over this, and the battle raged for some weeks.

In the meantime, we kids had to just make do. It was in the midst of this situation that I heard Principal Mutchler announce over the school intercom that there was a need for a boy who was interested in earning some money by doing some manual labor on Saturday. As soon as I could, I hurried to the Principal’s office to let them know I wanted that job. I was motivated by my need for money; I really didn’t much care what I had to do. As it turned out, the job was digging a ditch across a private road.

Those who have dug ditches will agree, I believe, that it is not usually a complicated enterprise; you move earth from one place to another. There is another fairly universal truth about ditch digging: unless you have access to some pretty sophisticated equipment, it's hard work!

Let me spare you the hour-by-hour description of my first time to dig a ditch. It was not a great experience; not for me, not for my employer, and not for the ditch. But, at the end of the day (literally … the END of the day), there was a ditch where one had not previously existed. And I got paid.

Uncomplicated, but taxing; simple to understand, but a real challenge to accomplish. Our spiritual walk is much the same. Don’t be fooled by those who tell you different; it is NOT complicated.

“The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know. Pray especially for rulers and their governments to rule well so we can be quietly about our business of living simply, in humble contemplation. This is the way our Savior God wants us to live.” (‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭2:1-3‬ ‭MSG‬‬, http://bible.com/97/1ti.2.1-3.msg)

Again, not complicated.

Yes, it can be VERY challenging. Praying for people we disagree with, people who we don't trust, people we don't like ... people we didn't vote for. That's hard to do.

It helps from time to time to stop and recognize that all we are asked to do are simple things ---hear; believe; repent; confess; walk; stand ...

And pray.

(A version of this appeared in fall of 2010)
_________________________

READINGS FOR THE COMING WEEK
Proper 20 (25) (September 18, 2016)
http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu

Jeremiah 8:18-9:1
Psalm 79:1-9
Amos 8:4-7
Psalm 113
1 Timothy 2:1-7
Luke 16:1-13
_________________________

Lectionary Breakfast is both a place and an activity. We gather Friday morning at the Waco "Egg and I" restaurant (Franklin and New Road). While there, we eat, visit, read scripture, challenge each other, laugh, and just enjoy each other.

Join us if you can. We would love to share in all this with you.

Blessings,
Steve

No comments: