Sunday, December 11, 2016

The Complaint Department - Redux (a Lectionary reflection by Steve Orr)

The complaints came pouring in.

One of the first challenges I faced as a newly selected church leader was what to do about complaints. It surprised me how many people felt comfortable complaining to me about other members of our congregation.

This was several years ago and my first time to serve as a church leader. Being new and inexperienced, I felt the need to patiently listen to these complainers, thinking that their confiding in me indicated their confidence in me; meant, perhaps, I needed to do some "leading" or something.

One day, though, I came across an interesting scripture in my Bible reading that completely changed how I thought about the complainers in our flock (and, after visiting with the Pastor about the matter, it completely changed how I responded to their complaints).

That scripture is among this week's Lectionary selections; the James passage. Take a break, here, and go read it. Then, come back and see if you agree with my conclusion.

What I see here is a clear link between patience and not complaining, and then a clear link between complaining and being judged (negatively) by God.

As we continue into the Advent season, it seems to me taking some time to think about our relationships with other believers is spot on.

What do you think? How can each of us ensure that we, ourselves, don't complain about our brothers and sisters? Write and let me know your thoughts on this. Your comments are welcome.

[A slightly different version of this reflection appeared in December 2013]
_________________________

READINGS FOR THE COMING WEEK
Third Sunday of Advent (December 11, 2016)
http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/

First reading
Isaiah 35:1-10
Psalm
Psalm 146:5-10 or Luke 1:46b-55
Second reading
James 5:7-10
Gospel
Matthew 11:2-11
_________________________

More of this great stuff can be found at Lectionary Breakfast each Friday morning. We gather at 8:00 at the Waco "Egg and I," eat some good food, enjoy each other's company, discuss some scripture, and we're out by 9:00-ish.

Come a little early, stay a little late. No one will complain.

Enjoy the week!
Steve

No comments: