Friday, April 14, 2017

A Rose and Some Gravy (a Lectionary reflection by Steve Orr)

Forgive me for thinking they were singing about a rose and some gravy.
I was a small child and that's the best my little mind could do. It was obvious this song meant a lot to them. All about me folks were singing their hearts out. The word to describe this forceful and heartfelt kind of singing, I would later learn, was "gusto."

Listening to the chorus, all I could picture was a rose rising up out of a bowl filled with gravy. In my mental picture, the gravy just sort of sluiced off the rose so that none remained on it once it was completely risen. And it just sort of hovered there, over the gravy bowl, looking blood-red beautiful.

At least I got the blood part right.

Fast forward a few years. I am paging through a hymnal and come across a song. Something about the lyrics seems familiar to me. As I read down through the verses, I come to the chorus. For a few seconds, I just sat there.

Then, I burst out laughing!

Like many children before me, I had "heard" the lyrics in a way that my childish mind could handle, but not as they actually were. There are lots of stories about children misunderstanding hymnal lyrics. Perhaps the most well known: "Gladly the Cross-Eyed Bear." I'm sure you can think of some.

In my case, what I had thought I heard as a small child was "Up from the gravy: a rose!" Of course, those who know this song will probably realize the actual lyrics are: "Up from the grave He arose!"

It's a song celebrating what is at the very heart of christian belief: that Jesus rose from the grave on the third day following his crucifixion. This Easter, when you are taking a moment to reflect on what, to many, is the part of the story that actually makes the Gospels the "Good news," perhaps you will recall my experience with a smile.

And when you do, share that smile with a child, knowing that, even though they may not quite understand things right now, it will come in time.

Happy Easter!

_________________________

Low in the grave he lay, Jesus my Savior,
waiting the coming day, Jesus my Lord!

Up from the grave he arose;
with a mighty triumph o'er his foes;
he arose a victor from the dark domain,
and he lives forever, with his saints to reign.

He arose!
He arose!
Hallelujah! Christ arose!

[Low in the Grave He Lay
Text: Robert Lowry, 1826-1899
Music: Robert Lowry, 1826-1899]
_________________________

(A version of the above reflection was first published at Easter 2014)

READINGS FOR THE COMING WEEK
Resurrection of the Lord (April 16, 2017)
Jeremiah 31:1-6
Psalm 118:1-2, 14-24
Colossians 3:1-4 OR Acts 10:34-43
John 20:1-18 OR Matthew 28:1-10
_________________________

Table of Easter Lectionary Readings
http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/lections.php?year=A&season=Easter

_________________________

Friday mornings are a special time for us. It's at Lectionary Breakfast that we celebrate the Word. We read and discuss the scriptures, pray for ourselves and our community, and there is a lot of laughter to complement the meal. We would love for you to join us. It is not necessary to bring a rose ... but, you could. :-)

Blessings,
Steve

No comments: