Saturday, December 9, 2017

Revisiting An Unfinished Christmas (a Steve Orr Advent reflection)

It was a Christmas we would never forget.

I was no older than the first grade. I remember my mother taking us downtown so we could watch the Christmas parade that Saturday morning. I have the clearest mental picture of getting out of the car and looking up to see my Dad happily waving to us from the third story window of his office (he was a Chiropractor in those days) near the corner of 7th and Broadway.

We felt so special to be able to watch everything from so far above everyone else. I remember the passing of Santa’s sleigh at some point, and the man himself pointing up at us, and waving, as we leaned as far out that window as the adults would allow.

The most enduring memory of that season came a few nights later. We went for our annual Christmas shopping night in downtown Paducah. My parents dressed us carefully (both for appearance and the weather), and put on their good clothes, as well. My Dad wore a suit and tie; my Mother wore a dress.

Paducah Dry Goods store was like the department store in “A Christmas Story.“ It was located at the corner of 4th and Broadway, undoubtedly the coldest corner in Paducah. Because of the way Paducah was positioned against the confluence of the Ohio and Tennessee Rivers, both 4th Street and Broadway funneled cold air up from the rivers to chill us as we disembarked from the car. Dad dropped the three of us off at the store, parked the car a few blocks away, and then rejoined us inside.

My parents forced us to endure shopping on each floor in turn; making our way with agonizing slowness toward all that really mattered: the fourth floor, location of toys and home of Santa’s red velvet throne.

The highlight of this Christmastime memory is sitting on Santa’s lap and telling him something —though I can't recall what— and realizing that his beard was real. That beard convinced me he was the real thing (and I had always been a bit skeptical, even at that tender age).

Eventually, after what seemed like ages, but was probably no longer than an hour —after all, we were small children— my parents bundled us up and moved us down four floors and to the front of the store. Things get a little hazy after that. I have a vibrant memory of my Mother holding my hand as the three of us stood on the curb waiting for my Dad to return with the car, to pick us up and drive us home. I remember waiting to the point that I was actually cold.

My Dad never returned that night.

And, in my memory, that is the end; the three of us standing there, getting colder ... watching, waiting, wondering

... an unfinished Christmas.
_________________________

Of course, there's more to this memoir. But what if there wasn't? What if that was all we would ever know? How strange to know there must be more, but be unable to know how things turned out.

It was my daughter who first suggested that this memoir, with all the waiting and watching, would make a great Advent reflection ... and I agree. Last week’s reflection fit perfectly with orientation, the first “stage” of Advent (looking back at our true histories and forward to God’s promises). While this one aligns well with this week’s 2nd Peter selection and its emphasis on waiting, patience, and the timeless aspect of a relationship with God.

We’ve been waiting on God all these centuries, ever since Jesus came to us in human form ... while at the same “time” (so to speak), God has been waiting on us. Yes, that’s right. Peter reminds us that while we’ve been patiently waiting on God to return, God has been patiently waiting until more of us are ready for that return.

It’s the story of a Christmas that had its beginning over 2,000 years ago and has remained open all this time ... waiting on us.

An unfinished Christmas, indeed.

_________________________

For the rest of the story, the fuller version of my Christmas memoir can be read at http://steveorr.blogspot.com/search/label/1Memoir-An%20Unfinished%20Christmas

(If you are on my blog, see the list on the right side of the screen (web version). Click on: 1Spiritual Reflection - An Unfinished Christmas)
_________________________

Photo credit: Fir0002/Flagstaffotos

For more about this Comet, discovered by Robert McNaught: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=Comet+P1+McNaught&title=Special:Search&profile=default&fulltext=1&searchToken=81xyewdewi43g6agewxbbwr2o
_________________________


READINGS FOR THE COMING WEEK
Second Sunday of Advent (December 10, 2017)
https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu//lections.php?year=B&season=Advent

Isaiah 40:1-11
Psalm 85:1-2, 8-13
2 Peter 3:8-15a
Mark 1:1-8

_________________________

The Advent season continues, and we continue to observe it at Lectionary Breakfast. Join us Friday morning at 8:00 for a hour of sharing, scripture reading, laughing, praying, discussing, and, of course, eating. We’re still meeting in the Function Room of the Waco “Egg and I” Restaurant (entrance around the side at the back of the building). We hope to see you there.

Blessings,
Steve

No comments: