Friday, November 2, 2018

Crashing the Reunion (a Steve Orr Lectionary reflection)

All about me were people side-hugging, full-hugging, air-kissing, cheek-kissing, lip-kissing. There were a lot of backs being slapped, hands being shook; bro-hugs. There were lots of confused looks (“Are you someone I’m supposed to know?”) and a few shocked looks (“You still look the same! How is that possible?”). And, yes, there were a few tears.

It was a high school reunion ... just not my high school reunion.


I was privileged (and blessed) to be invited to attend the reunion of the class just ahead of mine. These were people I had looked up to in my youth. They had been kind, accepting, funny, and brave.

Ours had been a time of great upheaval and change ... all about us (and among us), the Civil Rights Movement was unfolding. I watched how they were with each other (supportive, caring, protective) and I experienced how they were with the classes behind them (open, egalitarian, leading, inclusive).

They became my role models.

I personally experienced and observed them being good people. They didn’t know they were becoming my role models. I never told them. I didn’t realize it, myself, until some years later.

I found myself thinking of them as I read from the Book of Ruth in this week’s Lectionary scriptures. Ruth’s declaration of commitment to her mother-in-law sends shivers up my spine every time. Here was a older woman, Naomi, who so inspired a younger woman that she would not part from her, under any circumstances. Ruth had grown to respect and, yes, love Naomi so much that she was willing to abandon her own people, move to a foreign country, and even change religions!

Ruth would follow Naomi anywhere.

I spent many years doing my best to imitate the best of those folks from that high school class. I wanted to treat people as they had treated me, and, I’ll admit, desired to be as well thought of. Those emotions are difficult for me to describe. Some are very deeply felt. But what Naomi inspired in Ruth comes closest.

But Ruth said, "Do not press me to leave you or to turn back from following you! Where you go, I will go; Where you lodge, I will lodge; your people shall be my people, and your God my God.

Wouldn’t you like to be a Naomi to someone?

I would.

_________________________
PHOTO: Steve Orr

_________________________
READINGS FOR THE COMING WEEK
All Saints Day (November 1, 2018)
https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu//texts.php?id=226

Isaiah 25:6-9
Psalm 24
Revelation 21:1-6a
John 11:32-44
_________________________

Proper 26 (31) (Sunday, November 4, 2018)
https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/texts.php?id=227

Ruth 1:1-18
Psalm 146
Deuteronomy 6:1-9
Psalm 119:1-8
Hebrews 9:11-14
Mark 12:28-34
_________________________

Friday mornings at the Waco “Egg and I” are a special time. From 8:00 to 9:00, we enjoy a good meal at DaySpring’s Lectionary Breakfast. But we also enjoy reading scripture, praying, and laughing with a group of people we have come to admire.

Join us.

Blessings,
Steve

No comments: