Saturday, November 23, 2019

Full Price for Late Pizza (a Steve Orr scripture reflection)

Among my favorite events of the 1980’s was the arrival of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Later —in some cases, much later— would come the films, the cartoon series, the video games, the toys, and all the various forms of TMNT merch. What we got in the 80’s was a comic book.

The title was both arresting and amusing at the same time (the teenage ... whats?!) But that was just the beginning. It got weirder. They were turtles in shells ... mutated in such a way that they could talk and walk on two legs. The other two appendages had become arms with human-like hands.

These four “teenagers” were named for renaissance artists; Michelangelo, Raphael, Leonardo, and Donatello. And they were ninjas (complete with a mutated-rat-Sensei who trained them to use their marshall arts skills for good). So, there’s that. They lived in the New York City sewers, wore masks (why?!), fought crime, and celebrated victories with delivery pizza.

Does all of that sound ludicrous to you?

I think it did, then, too. At least it did to me. And yet, against all rational analysis, the comics were popular from the get go. Somehow, people were drawn to these wise-cracking, adolescent, street-warrior, amphibians. The TMNT are still around and still going strong. These days they buddy up with such stars as Batman to fight crime in NYC.

But, it’s not crime-fighting we’re going to zero in on; it’s that delivery pizza. My favorite TMNT quote comes from an early film in which the Turtles only pay the Domino Pizza delivery guy $10 for a $13 pizza. When he complains about being shorted, Michelangelo replies, “Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine ... but never pay full price for late pizza.”

From the moment I heard those words, I knew I could put them to work in my own life. Never again was I going to reward someone for delinquency. At that point in my career, I had people who reported to me, people to whom I assigned work projects. I reasoned that if someone thought that work was important, they would make the effort, and the arrangements, to ensure their deliverables were on time ... maybe even early.

Please understand: it’s not that I punished my staff if they were late with their deliverables. I just didn’t reward tardiness. And, at that time, in that setting, the philosophy worked pretty well. Those who needed that lesson, learned it. We did our work, well, and did it in a timely manner ... both key to successful performance and the rewards that went with it.

But, it doesn’t always work.

And I, for one, am really glad it doesn’t. What if Jesus followed that approach in this week’s selection from Luke? I am happy to report that Jesus, when face to face with a real latecomer, soundly rejected that philosophy.

The latecomer was the thief on the cross next to Jesus. He asked to be remembered when Jesus came into His kingdom. He was, in effect, saying, “I’m very, very late to this, but I am hoping you will reward me, anyway.” And Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in Paradise.” Can you imagine two people, soon to be dead, having such a conversation? Ridiculous. Crazy. Completely irrational.

But it only gets wilder. Yes, he was very, very late, but Jesus didn’t penalize him for his tardiness. Jesus isn’t watching the clock. Instead, Jesus paid the full price for that thief. Same for us.

Ridiculous. Crazy. Completely irrational.

Like paying full price for late pizza.


_________________________
Graphic: Adobe Spark Post

_________________________

READINGS FOR THE COMING WEEK
Reign of Christ - Proper 29 (34) (November 24, 2019)
https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu//texts.php?id=290

Jeremiah 23:1-6
Luke 1:68-79
Psalm 46
Colossians 1:11-20
Luke 23:33-43

_________________________

DaySpring’s Lectionary Breakfast meets Friday morning at 8:00 at Our Breakfast Place (corner of New Road and Franklin). Good food, good friends, and interesting stuff to talk about.

Join us!
Steve