Sunday, November 10, 2019

I’m. With. You. (a Steve Orr scripture reflection)

“I’m with you.” ... When you need to believe that, you want to believe it ... no matter who is saying it.

In the Steve Martin movie, My Blue Heaven, it’s a “mid-level” mafiosi saying it to an FBI Agent. Why would a criminal say that to a law enforcement officer? It probably shouldn’t even be coming up. Can he believe it? Should he believe it?

If he was skeptical, would you blame him?

The FBI Agent, Barney Coopersmith, is assigned to keep the mafiosi, Vincent ("Vinne") Antonelli, out of trouble until he can testify against one of his Mafia bosses. It should be simple: keep the criminal safe in Witness Protection until the trial. It proves to be anything but simple. In the scene where Vinnie tells Barney, “I’m with you,” the audience knows Vinnie is trying to leverage himself out of having been caught committing credit card fraud ... while in Witness Protection! We can be forgiven for thinking he is just manipulating Barney.

But, Vinnie has some (seeming) flaws, at least for someone in his profession. He makes and keeps friends. He likes to help people. He likes children. He is a romantic. He is loyal.

In the scene, he tells Barney, "Now when I say 'I'm with you,' I don't mean it like an expression, like I'm saying 'I understand what you mean.' I mean, I'm. With. You."

And it’s not long before we begin to think Vinnie really means it. Time and time again, Vinnie acts positively toward Barney; teaching him how to dance the méringue (yes; named after the dessert), how to woo the woman he loves, even how to dress for success. And, perhaps most importantly, how to relax and enjoy life.

Vinnie really was with Barney. He made himself part of Barney's life; all the parts of Barney's life ... and Barney was the better for it. No, it was not a smooth process (and where would be the fun in that?). But over the course of their time together, Vinnie became Barney's friend; a true friend. The very person any of us would want in our lives, even if that person made us a bit uncomfortable from time to time; even if we couldn't control them or predict their behavior.

The relationship would be worth it.

In this week's selection from the Prophet Haggai, God says: "...take courage, all you people of the land, says the LORD; work, for I am with you, says the LORD of hosts, according to the promise that I made you when you came out of Egypt. My spirit abides among you; do not fear."

God is not just present, and His declaration is not just "an expression." He is saying He will be with his people through everything that is coming, the good and the bad; that He plans to "abide" with them, to come and to stay. Long before Jesus came to earth, God declared "Immanuel" to His people.

God said to them and is saying to us:

"I'm. With. You."

_______________________
Parts of this come from “The Wisdom of My Blue Heaven“ (a November 2016 reflection).

_______________________
READINGS FOR THE COMING WEEK
Proper 27 (32) (November 10, 2019)
https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu//texts.php?id=288

Haggai 1:15b-2:9
Psalm 145:1-5, 17-21 or Psalm 98
Job 19:23-27a
Psalm 17:1-9
2 Thessalonians 2:1-5, 13-17
Luke 20:27-38
_________________________

Come and be with us at DaySpring’s Lectionary Breakfast on Friday morning. We meet at 8:00 at Our Breakfast Place (formerly the Waco "Egg and I" restaurant) and we would love for you to join us.

Sure, the food's tasty, but the real treat is getting to spend time with each other. See you there?

Blessings,
Steve

3 comments:

Jim Fulbright said...

♥️

Jim Fulbright said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim Fulbright said...

Maybe it's because I'm a teacher, but I envision the sort of affectionate interest I feel looking over the shoulder have a student.