Friday, April 3, 2020

A Waste of Talent and Skill? (a Steve Orr scripture reflection)

There was a time when people paid me to build things out of wood.

I did a lot of things to pay for college; some of which, looking back, seem too bizarre to be believed. Carpentry was one of the best. All of my carpentry memories are good ones. What joy to start out with some wood and some tools, and then end up with something sturdy, beautiful, and useful. Still, even though carpentry is not something you really forget how to do, like many things in this life, life itself can move it to the sidelines.

So, imagine my thrill when, not long ago, I met a man who told me he was part of a group that builds wheelchair ramps for those in need. I told him of my carpentry experience and asked if he thought I could join them. After a short pause, he said, "We could use you in lumber management." Sounded good to me. The opportunity to once again use my carpentry skills was such a big draw, I almost wouldn't have cared what we were going to build. The fact that it was a wheelchair ramp for the home of an elderly person was, as they say, icing on the cake.

When I arrived that first morning, I asked the leader if I should get my tools from the car. He assured me the crew had done this many times and already had everything it needed —clearly, a well-oiled machine. Soon everyone was present and we were ready to begin. While some of the men walked toward the sawhorses and power tools, my new friend steered me in a different direction ... toward a sizable pile of lumber and four other men. He explained to us that the lumber was organized and stacked by thickness and width, but that the lengths must be cut to fit. Our job was to wait until the guy operating the power saw requested lumber; to bring him whatever piece he specified, and then to hold it steady while he made the cuts.

Lumber management.

I took my friend aside and explained how disappointed I was to not be actually building something. In response, he gently and patiently explained to me how the cow ate the cabbage. The roles for this enterprise had long ago been decided; the people vetted for their appropriateness to the task for which they had been assigned. What was now needed were some folks who were willing to do the non-glamorous work of hauling lumber and holding it steady so the others could fulfill their assignments. If we all did our part, he explained, we would end the day with a sturdy and useful wheelchair ramp for a person who really needed one.

It was a truly humbling moment.

I learned a lot that day, both about lumber management and about doing the work one is called to do. When the jobs we are assigned to do seem beneath us, it rankles. That is especially true when we know we are being way underutilized; when we know there is so much more we could do, could give. It feels wasteful.

Sometimes, though, God only asks for a simple thing.

Sometimes, while all about us others seem to have very important things to do, what is required of us, like that of Simon of Cyrene in Matthew 27:32, is to take up some wood ... and follow.

Lumber management.

_________________________
PHOTO: Pattie Orr

A much longer and different version of this reflection appeared in April 2011.

_________________________
READINGS FOR THE COMING WEEK
Liturgy of the Palms (April 5, 2020)
https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu//texts.php?id=29

Psalm 118:1-2, 19-29
Matthew 21:1-11
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___

READINGS FOR THE COMING WEEK
Liturgy of the Passion (April 5, 2020)
LINK HERE: https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu//texts.php?id=30

Isaiah 50:4-9a
Psalm 31:9-16
Philippians 2:5-11
Matthew 26:14-27:66

_________________________

I pray you are well and safe as we continue our hiatus. The extension of the COVID19 shelter-in-place order means DaySpring’s Lectionary Breakfast is still not meeting. Here are this week’s scriptures and a reflection.

Keep safe. Keep in touch.

Blessings,
Steve

No comments: