Thursday, September 15, 2022

Ditch Digger’s Dilemma (a Steve Orr scripture reflection)

 

I suddenly needed money.

 

During high school, my cash reserves had been just fine. I had a generous weekly allowance that covered my daily school lunch with some spending money left over. 

 

That is, until they raised the price of the school lunch. 

 

Suddenly, my allowance would only pay for lunch. It was in the midst of this situation that I heard Principal Mutchler’s announcement. There was a need for a boy to do some manual labor on Saturday. I hurried to the office to let them know I wanted that job. I was motivated by my need for money, and I really didn’t much care what I had to do. 

 

As it turned out, the job was digging a ditch.

 

Those who have dug ditches will agree, I believe, that it is not usually a complicated enterprise. You move earth from one place to another. There is another fairly universal truth about ditch digging: Unless you have access to some pretty sophisticated equipment, it's hard work!  

 

Let me spare you the hour-by-hour description of my first time to dig a ditch. It was not a great experience—not for me, not for my employer, and not for the ditch. But at the end of the day (literally, the end of the day), there was a ditch where one had not previously existed. 

 

And I got paid. 

 

Uncomplicated, but taxing. Simple to understand, but a real challenge to accomplish. Our spiritual walk is much the same. Don’t be fooled by those who tell you different: It is not complicated. 

 

From this week’s 1 Timothy passage: “The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know. Pray especially for rulers and their governments to rule well so we can be quietly about our business of living simply, in humble contemplation. This is the way our Savior God wants us to live.” 

 

Again, not complicated.  

 

Yes, it can be very challenging. Praying for people with whom we disagree, people we don't trust, people we don't like, even people we didn't vote for. That's hard to do. It helps from time to time to stop and recognize that all we are asked to do are simple things—hear, believe, repent, confess, walk, stand...

 

And pray. 


_________________________

PHOTO (of a model excavator): 

https://ec-hobby.com/liebherr-r-945-litronic-full-metal-hydraulic-rc-excavator-20220801-1-2382.html



 

Friday mornings at DaySpring’s Lectionary Breakfast are special. Starting at 8:00, we take an hour to eat, pray, read scripture, and engage us some fascinating discussions. We meet both on Zoom** and in person at Our Breakfast Place. You should join us. 

 

Blessings, 

Steve

 

Steve

 

**Contact me for the Zoom link:

 

NOTE: Zoom allows you to mute the camera and the microphone if you don’t wish to be seen or heard.

 

SCRIPTURES FOR SUNDAY AND THE COMING WEEK

Find them here:

https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/texts.php?id=280

 

Print them here:

https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/pdf//Cx_Proper20.pdf

 

Jeremiah 8:18-9:1

Psalm 79:1-9

Amos 8:4-7

Psalm 113

1 Timothy 2:1-7

Luke 16:1-13

Proper 20 (25) (September 18, 2022)

 

 

___\\\___\\\__

 

No comments: