Thursday, April 6, 2023

Gravy, Gusto, and a Rose (a Steve Orr scripture reflection)

I think I can be forgiven for thinking they were singing about a rose and some gravy. I was a kid, and that's the best my little mind could do with what I heard. 

 

All about me, folks were singing their hearts out. It was obvious this hymn meant a lot to them. The word to describe this forceful and heartfelt kind of singing, I would later learn, is "gusto." They were singing with gusto.

 

Listening to the hymn’s chorus, all I could picture was a rose rising up out of a bowl filled with gravy. In my childish imagination, it just sort of hovered there over the gravy bowl, looking blood-red beautiful.

 

Fast forward about 10 years. I am paging through a hymnal and come across a song. Something about the lyrics seems familiar to me. As I read through the verses, I come to the chorus. For a few seconds, I just sit there.

 

Then, I burst out laughing!

 

Like many children before me, I had heard the lyrics in a way that my childish mind could handle, but not as they actually were. There are lots of stories about kids mot understanding hymnal lyrics. Perhaps the best known: "Gladly the Cross-Eyed Bear."

 

In my case, what I thought I heard as a small child was "Up from the gravy: a rose!" The actual lyrics are: "Up from the grave He arose!"

 

It's a song celebrating what is at the very heart of Christian belief: that Jesus rose from the grave on the third day following his crucifixion. This Easter, when you are taking a moment to reflect on what, to many, is the part of the story that actually makes the Gospels the good news, I hope you will recall my experience with a smile.

 

And when you do, share that smile with a child, knowing that even though they may not quite understand things right now, it will come in time.

 

Happy Easter!

 

_________________________

Listen to the old hymn here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BYMCZNHPmg

 

LYRICS

Low in the grave he lay, Jesus my Savior, 
waiting the coming day, Jesus my Lord! 


Up from the grave he arose; 
with a mighty triumph o'er his foes; 
he arose a victor from the dark domain, 
and he lives forever, with his saints to reign. 

He arose! 

He arose! 

Hallelujah! Christ arose!


Text: Robert Lowry, 1826-1899 

Music: Robert Lowry, 1826-1899

_______


PHOTO (and proof I wasn’t the only one who heard “gravy”):

http://www.central-christian-church.com/2021/04/20/up-from-the-gravy-a-rose/


 BONUS LISTENING

“You Saved the Day” by Phillips, Craig and Dean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a4Gk-y56F4


“GraveRobber” by Petra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKyhGyTW_TM



 

_________________________


Friday mornings are a special time for us. It's at DaySpring’s Lectionary Breakfast that we celebrate the Word. We read and discuss the scriptures, pray for ourselves and our community, and there is a lot of laughter to complement the meal. Join us on Zoom** or in person at Our Breakfast Place

 

It is not necessary to bring a rose. 

But you could…

 

Blessings,

Steve

 

 **Contact me for the Zoom link

NOTE: Zoom allows you to mute the camera and the microphone if you don’t wish to be seen or heard.

 

SCRIPTURES FOR SUNDAY AND THE COMING WEEK

Find them here:

https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/texts.php?id=38

 

Print them here:

https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/pdf//Ax_ResurrectionoftheLord.pdf

 

Jeremiah 31:1-6

Psalm 118:1-2, 14-24

Colossians 3:1-4 OR Acts 10:34-43

John 20:1-18 OR Matthew 28:1-10

Resurrection of the Lord (April 9, 2023)

 

_________________________

 

Table of Easter Lectionary Readings

http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/lections.php?year=A&season=Easter

 

No comments: