Sunday, January 20, 2019

Revisiting “My Chemical Romance” (a Steve Orr Lectionary reflection)

When I was a boy of ten or so, I wanted a chemistry set. And, after much lobbying of my parents, I was given it; maybe for Christmas. I recall being very excited ... for about an hour.

It took me that long to conclude it wasn't what I thought it would be. To use it required an understanding of the scientific method, knowledge of how to conduct an experiment, and the ability to read and follow directions. None of which I possessed in sufficient quantity.

The main source of my disappointment, however, was one of expectation. What I expected was to be able to transform things, to turn one thing into another thing. I quickly learned that was not going to occur. And, as any real scientist will tell you, you must commit to a long term relationship with science if you want to get anywhere with it.

My chemical romance, it turned out, was nothing more than puppy love.

These memories came back to me as I read this week's Lectionary selection from the gospel of John: when Jesus attended a wedding at Cana. There's been a lot written about this event, with the most being about whether Jesus turned the water into alcoholic wine or not.

I was a bit surprised to discover just how strongly and deeply held are the positions people have taken. The Internet is packed with well-reasoned articles and papers arguing that scripture supports the water-cum-wine was not alcoholic ... or was. Only rarely did I come across anyone concluding, "we just cannot know." I went searching for enlightenment and found a hornet's nest, instead.

After reading several of these, I concluded that, like me and my chemistry set, many have missed the point.

And here it is: Jesus took one thing, and without so much as a gesture, transformed it into something else.

Stop for a minute, here, and let that really sink in

Almost everyone seems to want to argue over whether the water was turned into alcoholic wine or not. And while that may well be an important debate in another context, it obscures what is most important about this passage. The wedding steward doesn't say it is "a" good wine, but that it is "the" good wine; that the no-longer-water is not just good, but the very essence of good. Like every transformation accomplished by Jesus, it was something new ... the best.

There, in one seemingly small miracle, Jesus encapsulated his entire reason for being on Earth. He came to make us new creations. Not better human beings, not the best versions of ourselves, not ideals ... new... creations

_________________________

A different version of this reflection appeared in January 2016 as My Chemical Romance.

_________________________
PHOTO: Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands by Steve Orr (Yes, I know it has nothing to do I with the reflection. I just like it.)
_________________________
READINGS FOR THE COMING WEEK
January 20, 2019 - Second Sunday after Epiphany https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/texts.php?id=108

Isaiah 62:1-5
Psalm 36:5-10
1 Corinthians 12:1-11
John 2:1-11
_________________________

Join us Friday morning if you're in the Waco area. We meet at 8:00 at the "Egg and I" restaurant for about an hour. Good food, good folk, and a feast for the soul.

It's transformative.

Enjoy the week!
Steve

No comments: