Friday, January 11, 2019

Snorkeling Off Bonaire (a Steve Orr Lectionary reflection)

The brochure promised a wonderful experience while snorkeling above a reef off the coast of Bonaire.

We traveled to Bonaire’s National Marine Park via the Aquaspace, “a unique, semi-submarine sailing trimaran.” Along the way, as we plied the pristine blue waters of the Southern Caribbean, we learned the Aquaspace was used by Jacques Cousteau to research underwater marine life.

There were just eight of us, plus a crew of two, on deck for the passage to the Park. People always say things like, “The water was such an amazing color of blue!” I wish I could be more original, but there just doesn't seem to be any other way to express it. There are not enough of the right words to truly describe it ... so beautiful.

In time, we arrived at a position between the islands of Bonaire and “Little Bonaire,” but closer to the latter. Once the crew dropped anchor, we were encouraged to “share the spirit of Cousteau” and observe the marine life in the glass gondola of that special ship.

I was surprised to learn the gondola was two decks down, well below the waterline. Somehow, the phrase “semi-submarine,” had slipped past me. It was my first moment of uneasiness. I suffer from “intermittent claustrophobia;” which is just a nice way of saying I never know when I’m going to be freaked out by too small a space or two large a crowd.

I carefully navigated the narrow steps down into an ever-darkening interior. When I reached the bottom, I was prepared to perform some deep breathing exercises to calm myself. I forced myself to look up ... and was entranced.

On either side, through the thick glass walls, was one of the most beautiful sights I’ve ever seen. No matter where I looked, the reefs filled the view. They were absolutely alive with sea life; fish swimming all about, plants waving in the currents, coral formations of every color anchoring the scene.

I have no idea how long we all sat there, perched on little stools, faces just inches from the glass, taking in the treasures of that undersea world. I completely forgot my trepidation. There could be no fear in the presence of such majesty.

Afterward, I climbed back up to the deck having completely forgotten my earlier unease. That’s when the Captain said, “Okay, now we snorkel.” And I was ready.

Or, so I thought.

I placed the goggles over my eyes, seated the breathing tube into my mouth, stepped off the ladder at the back of the boat, and slid down into the water.

Panic overwhelmed me.

I could feel the water surrounding me, pressing on me. I felt I was drowning. I grabbed for the ladder, jerked my head back up into the air, and spit out the mouthpiece. Peace fled from me.

There had been caveats in that brochure. We had been warned that this excursion was not advisable for folks with mobility limitations or for those with a history of neck or back pain. There was nothing, though, about Claustrophobia.

Being in the water was completely different than watching it through thick walls of glass ... something I may already have known, intellectually, but which was now made real to me in a new and shocking way.

This week’s Psalm assures us God is the Lord over the waters, over the mighty waters. In the Isaiah passage, God comforts the people by declaring, “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you.”

Like my time in the glass gondola of the Aquaspace, our experiences can sometimes distract us, mislead us. When we base our confidence on anything other than the Lord, we can be lulled into a false peace. And like my time in actual water, our real life can be overwhelming.

We all need God with us when we’re in deep.


_________________________
READINGS FOR THE COMING WEEK
January 13, 2019 - Baptism of the Lord
First Sunday after Epiphany
https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/texts.php?id=107

Isaiah 43:1-7
Psalm 29
Acts 8:14-17
Luke 3:15-17, 21-22
_________________________

Join us Friday morning for DaySpring’s Lectionary Breakfast at the Waco “Egg and I” restaurant. This hour of Bible, discussion, prayer, and, yes, laughter, starts at 8:00. If you don’t see us, ask.

Blessings,
Steve

No comments: