Saturday, July 1, 2023

Friending Ashley Judd (a Steve Orr scripture reflection)

In the early days of social media, my account kept suggesting I become friends with Ashley Judd.  

It popped up with some regularity. The first time it happened, I clicked on the link. The screen quickly displayed a message informing me that Ashley couldn't be friends with me because she already had too many friends. 


Yes, I was that naive.

 

At first, it was quite the mystery why the prompt was there. She was a movie star and I was…well, not. In time, I eventually realized it was because the algorithm thingy recognized we are both from Kentucky. So, of course we might know each other. But I had learned my lesson. From then on, I just ignored it.  

 

It's too bad, really, because I think I could share some stories with Ashley that, being from Kentucky, would resonate with her. I could tell her about Paul and Mike, about Carolyn and Ginny Ann, about Bob and Robin, Bruce and Bonnye; about the great times we all had exploring the Land Between the Lakes, spelunking, picking apples to earn spending money, writing poetry, climbing on the monkey bars, playing on the train tracks, driving through the 19th Hole, playing baseball on a makeshift mowed-out diamond, being in school plays and musicals, canoeing Kentucky Lake, holding hands, and, yes, skipping stones.  

 

Great memories of growing up in West Kentucky. Even the bad parts don't look so bad after half a century. Yes, I think Ashley would recognize some of that—and might welcome a friendship that helps her recall her own growing-up times.

 

I offer these thoughts as extensions of those spoken by Jesus in this week’s Matthew passage: "Whoever welcomes you welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me.”

 

_________________________

PHOTO: Steve Orr, The Land Between the Lakes, Kentucky


A little friending music (“Thank You For Being A Friend” —The Golden Girls theme):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU4Zeiwvy6g



 _________________________


If you’re in Waco Friday morning, join us at Our Breakfast Place for DaySpring’s Lectionary Breakfast. We start at 8:00. There’s always great food, great scriptures, and a fine time talking about them. Laughter keeps showing up, too. 


You can always join us on Zoom.**

 

Blessings,

Steve

 

 **Contact me for the Zoom link

NOTE: Zoom allows you to mute the camera and the microphone if you don’t wish to be seen or heard.

 

SCRIPTURES FOR SUNDAY AND THE COMING WEEK

 

Find them here:

https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/texts.php?id=148

 

Print them from here:

https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/pdf//Ax_Proper8.pdf


Genesis 22:1-14

Psalm 13

Jeremiah 28:5-9

Psalm 89:1-4, 15-18

Romans 6:12-23

Matthew 10:40-42

Proper 8 (13) July 2, 2023

 

No comments: