Saturday, July 8, 2023

My Other Life (a Steve Orr scripture reflection)

Lately, I’ve been tempted to enter one of the many immersive online gaming communities. I think it might be fun to assemble an avatar and dive into the action. It certainly would be a diversion from all the problems of life. 

 

But then I remember: I already have another life. 

 

It is a different time—actually, a different timeline. People dress in clothing that looks a lot like steampunk costumes, great dirigibles ply the skies, and automobiles look much as they did in the early part of the 20th Century. 

 

In my imagined life, I am in service to the Queen of England; a secret knight of the realm, her personal Paladin. My friends are people like Nikola Tesla and Harriet Quimby. I have adventures, drive and fly interesting vehicles, and often "go undercover" to ferret out enemies of the Crown.

 

It's all in fun, a harmless exercise of my imagination. My alternate history lives on a Pinterest board where, by pinning photos, I tell a kind of story about a life in which there's—well, a bit more swash in my buckle.  

 

An important point: We don't always like our real lives. Sometimes, we don't even like ourselves. 

 

We struggle with how to live a good life, often fighting inclinations to do things we know we should not, and sometimes losing that fight. In a pretend life, we are completely in control. So, it's nice to pretend from time to time, to "get away" for a while from the pressures of this life. It can be fun, and even a relief. 

 

But we must not allow ourselves to spend too much time in these retreats. As Henry Wadsworth Longfellow wrote in his poem, A Psalm of Life:

 

Life is real! Life is earnest!  

And the grave is not thy goal;  

Dust thou art, to dust returnest, 

Was not spoken of the soul.

 

Each of us does have another life, a different life—the one that continues after this one concludes. Scripture says we get a new body, and adventures so amazing they can't be described in terms we can understand, at least not now. 

 

For now, if we weary of this life, we must follow the teachings in this week's Matthew and Romans passages. Let’s allow the Lord to place us in light harness so we may be guided. And then, let’s trust Him to rescue us when we live a life contrary to what we know is good.

 

I can’t imagine a better way.

 

_________________________

PHOTO: The cover of an actual novel from about 100 years ago (or from my other life), Pinterest


 

If interested, you can view my Pinterest Board, "In Another Life," here:

https://pin.it/RqWIHtN

 

(NOTE: my board instructions say “read from the bottom up,” which is correct. It’s just that Pinterest sometimes places other pins below mine. So, scroll down to the photos of Harriet Quimby and the ornate spiral staircase: That’s the bottom of my board. Then, start up. Also: In most of these pins, I have added notes about how I used or interacted with the subject of the pin. You may need to click on some bits to read them.)

_________________________



We all join together for DaySpring’s Lectionary Breakfast on Friday morning. It’s been our practice for many years to gather at 8:00 for scripture, food, and fellowship. We meet on Zoom** and at Our Breakfast Place. You’re welcome to join us.

 

Blessings,

Steve

 

 **Contact me for the Zoom link

NOTE: Zoom allows you to mute the camera and the microphone if you don’t wish to be seen or heard.

 

SCRIPTURES FOR SUNDAY AND THE COMING WEEK

 

Find them here:

https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/texts.php?id=149

 

Print them from here:

https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/pdf//Ax_Proper9.pdf

 

Genesis 24:34-38, 42-49, 58-67

Psalm 45:10-17 or Song of Solomon 2:8-13

Zechariah 9:9-12

Psalm 145:8-14

Romans 7:15-25a

Matthew 11:16-19, 25-30

Proper 9 (14) (July 9, 2023)


No comments: